Sunday, July 11, 2010

Electric

What about the electric service?  Is my service big enough?

The answer for me was that I needed to get an electrician and National Grid to upgrade the line to my house from 100 amp service to 200 amp service.  The existing meter was reused, so that the electric metering was not interrupted.  The overhead lines to my house were replaced by the utility at no cost.  And a new 200 amp panel replaced my 100 amp panel.  A sub panel was added for the heatpump, it requires two 50 amp breakers in the main panel.
I had Carl Patzer at Patzer Electric do this work for $1500.  He handled the coordination with National Grid Electric and the electrical inspector.
A grounding rod was added to the upgrade of the service, per current code.
The electric shutdown was about 4 hours.  We had to postpone our 8 am shutdown at the last minute due to rain.
Fortunately, National Grid was able to schedule us for the next day.  The electrical inspector stopped by almost immediately after National Grid and Carl had tied in the new service.

No comments:

Post a Comment